France (FR) – Year-round pianos
December 31, 2021
About the year-round pianos in France
We’ve played a few dozen of these French railway station pianos over the years, mostly if not all uprights. Quality of these pianos can differ from (most) excellent to (some) very poor.
- We can’t say it any better than this article: “If You Miss a Train in France, You May Catch a Tune Instead”. There used over just over 100 back in 2016, right now in 2020 you’ll still find a staggering 75 pianos on 71 railway stations thoughout the country, soly sponsored by SNCF – French National Railway Company.
- Not only does France offer the most Public Pianos on railway stations – again organized by the company itself – it offers a very gentle CSV-download of Public Pianos and even Table Football on all stations. For the techies amongst you, there’s even this API available to get an actual overview
- For your convenience, “Gare” means “Station” and “TGV” means “Train à Grande Vitesse”, so high speed train…
- All below railway stations offer you 1 Public Piano, except for:
- Bordeaux Saint-Jean, 2 pianos
- Paris Gare du Nord, 3 pianos
- Paris Gare de Lyon, 2 pianos
- So, add a few Airport pianos to it and a rich history of Paris – Play Me I’m Yours (in French: “Jouez Je Suis à Vous”), get your train tickets out and you’ll be on your way!
Stay safe, stay healthy and enjoy playing all these French pianos!